Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Yummy Dark Chocolate Fudge Just Like My Mom's


I have my Mom's old, tattered, stained, handwritten recipe entitled "Candy"! 

 It's actually a recipe for dark chocolate fudge.


I watched my mom make this fudge hundreds of times. 

 We loved it! 
 Even our childhood dog, Lady, loved it. 

I remember it had a sugary, "melt in your mouth", rich, dark chocolate flavor! 

 Nothing like most fudge out there now that people make or buy that is very creamy - rather my Mom's fudge melted in your mouth, just like candy, which is probably why my mom called her recipe "candy".

I tried several times when first married to make my Mom's recipe but it never turned out (one time it was so hard I couldn't get it out of the pan).

You can imagine my surprise when I found this recipe, Hershey's Old Fashioned Rich Cocoa Fudge, on Pinterest (here) that's almost a duplicate of my Mom's recipe. 

 And even better-- it had more detailed instructions then my Mom's recipe.  

 I found the same recipe on the Hershey website and I had to laugh where it  states to follow the instructions closely or the fudge won't turn out.. no fooling!)

This is what Hershey says: 
NOTE: For best results, do not double this recipe. This is one of our most requested recipes, but also one of our most difficult. The directions must be followed exactly. Beat too little and the fudge is too soft. Beat too long and it becomes hard and sugary. 




I decided to make the Hershey recipe today and quickly gathered together the simple ingredients.


You can find the recipe on Pinterest (here) and also on Hershey's website (including nutritional information).


I mixed up the dry ingredients.


Added skim milk.


Set aside the butter, vanilla and buttered dish.


I don't have a heavy duty saucepan so I used a double boiler.


Next time I will skip the double boiler because the mixture just wouldn't come to a boil. So I ended up placing the top pan directly on the burner. 

{{My Mom's old heavy duty saucepan was ideal for this job, but alas, my sister-in-law has it and she is 450 miles away.}}

It finally reached the soft ball stage and was ready for the last two ingredients.



The recipe said to let the cooked mixture sit several hours until the temperature was reduced to 110 F. before the last step (beating it) and pouring it into the buttered pan. 

 But I don't have ANY patience and anyways my Mom's recipe said to cool it in a pan of cold water so that's what I did.


It's been over 20 years since my Mom passed and at least that long since I had her fudge but I was very pleased with the results. 

This fudge tastes just like hers or at least my memory of hers.

Give it a try you may like it too. 

 {{Hubby tried it but he's more of a milk chocolate lover so he wasn't crazy about it - but I'm a dark chocolate lover so I'm in heaven.}}

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. I do like a good piece of fudge, but sometimes certain ones make my teeth hurt! This looks very good. I usually make this around Christmas. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I'm not going to try this as I know I will LOVE it and then I will want to eat a lot of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delish! I'm sure it's worth the trouble too. Mmm...chocolate to soothe your soul. So good. Thanks for the link to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a beautiful post so full with memories... Love that picture of the old recipe.;)
    Thank you so much for your very recent and very substantial comment, it warmed my heart and soul...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom also made fudge like this, and I also have a hand written recipe of hers from long ago. I am so glad you posted this because I had despaired of ever making this work. My mom has alzheimers and cannot remember the recipe. I am going to try making this with my 2 daughters this weekend, probably crying the whole time, remembering all the times my mom made it when I was a child. She used to put it out in a snowbank to cool it down. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. do like a good piece of fudge, but sometimes certain ones make my teeth hurt! This looks very good. I usually make this around Christmas.

    ReplyDelete